Salt Lake City, UT (DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Salt Lake City Downtown)
General familiarity with government budget documents
This session is designed for any local government personnel responsible for monitoring the budget and/or developing performance measures.
Budget monitoring and performance management are key tools to regularly examine an organization's operations to identify any potential shortcomings and to find ways to make early course corrections.
This session will include examples and discussion on monitoring and performance measurement practices and how these relate to GFOA's new and recently updated best practices on these two essential topics.
- Understand the value of monitoring the budget. What methods makes more sense? When?
- Ways to spread the work and responsibility of keeping a watchful eye on the budget.
- What to do when the budget gets off track.
- What performance measures are and what they aren’t. Characteristics of useful ones.
- What do performance measures help your organization accomplish?
- Understand the advantages and key challenges when developing and utilizing performance measures to guide organizational decision-making.